What follows are periodic reports as the XRX kit was being made. Many of my plans, prices and features changed as the kit came together. Ignore all pricing in the following unless in matches with the information on the Hooligan XRX page.

It's happy time. All the shaping, sanding and polishing is over. I finish waxing the 'pattern' parts then it's off to the mold maker this week. Things left to do are: making the taillight and license plate holder, machining the rear mount system and ordering foam for the seat. I will hand shape the first few seat cushions.

xrx-sportster-dirt-track-tail-2sep2014-1xrx-sportster-dirt-track-tail-2sep2014-2xrx-sportster-dirt-track-tail-2sep2014-3

More later
~ Phil

XRX Side Covers are done

XRX side covers are available for Evo Sportsters through 2003. It will also fit the XR1000 and earlier Sportsters with the same 3-hole electric cover on the left side. This cover was developed for my XRX kit but it can be used on any Sportster to cover up the rather ugly stock battery or tinsel cover with skulls. It mounts where the triangle cover mounts on the frame. It uses the same wellnuts and I supply black hardware. It comes in black or white (order the white if you are going to paint it).

xrx sportster dirt track tail 12jan2015 1 xrx sportster dirt track tail 12jan2015 2 xrx sportster dirt track tail 12jan2015 3

xrx sportster tail 4 12 15 1

Boy, this project is taking a bunch longer than I hoped. Mostly my fault for picking wrong supplier. Here is a photo of the long awaited tail fender mold. With this two-piece mold I can move to making the taillight mount and seat cushion.

When I say two-part notice the hairline split mid way. We spray in the gelcoat and fiberglass matrix and after it cures we dissemble the mold and pull out the part. The fender has so many curves and negative drafts that this is the only way to handle it. More soon I hope.

~ Phil

It was over a year ago that I started this project (first called DXR). Nothing is as fast as one wants. Well I have movement to report but I think it’s appropriate to review the original goal here.

The idea is a tail which bolts behind a stock Sportster 3.3 gallon tank and with my forth coming XRX tank graphics, an owner can achieve a good looking street tracker on the cheap (about half the cost of my SXR kit.) Hence the old concept drawing is shown again.

Today I can show you the competed tail part, first out of the mold. If you are wondering about that scallopy shape on the edge-that’s my attempt to blend the tail with the oil tank. I have one on the other side for my new left side cover-which is quite popular (see two posts back).

xrx sportster dirt track tail 27may2015 1 th xrx sportster dirt track tail 27may2015 2 th

Okay, I have start the molds for seat foam and the taillight/license plate holder. I’ll be back atcha when I have news.

~ Phil Little

Hi gang. I’ve made some progress on the XRX street tracker tail for use with stock Harley 3.3 Sportster tanks. I’ve nearly finished making the seat base. Let me take you through the steps:

xrx street tracker june2015 1I use blue 3M masking tape as a release agent because it’s cheap and quick. I coat the tape with one coat of release wax.

xrx street tracker june2015 2I lay fiberglass to mirror the shape of the tank and tail.

xrx street tracker june2015 3Here the fiberglass is cured and I’ve trimmed the shape edge I want.

xrx street tracker june2015 4The seat base pattern is mounted on stilts to eliminate debris during the mold making progress to come next. I've coated the pattern with white gelcoat. The pattern has to be sanded and polished to a mirror gloss. This step took a full day.

Remaining work: Make a mold for the seat foam and make a mold for taillight/license plate holder which bonds under tail then I'm done after a year.

~ Phil