My last report was 10/14/15 which means I’m slow, but you already know that. I am, however, persistent. I have kicked the XRX project into high gear and will devote my time to completing it. Over last week I have roughed out the new rear seat support bracket which will hold taillight and license plate. Here are shots of the bracket:
This bracket will be for first Evos through 1993. In the next shot you can see that early frame behind. I am making it first because the 94+ frame (foreground) has a lower mounting surface and it will be easier to change the -93 bracket by adding material to it so it drops down to the later model seat rails. More when I have it.
Okay, in the last report I showed you the completed XRX seat base. Now I’m a day away from finishing the pattern of the seat foam. I’m going to make a mold and produce my own foam from now on because foam costs from the California maker were killing me.
Here are two shots of the foam pattern. When that’s done I’ll finish the pattern for the fender support bracket/brakelight & license plate holder which has already been started. This has been a very long process and I’m sorry but I’m distracted by so many other concurrent projects. (I have the new style black side left side covers in stock if you want to replace that metal crap that holds the battery in.)
Hi gang. I’ve made some progress on the XRX street tracker tail for use with stock Harley 3.3 Sportster tanks. I’ve nearly finished making the seat base. Let me take you through the steps:
The seat base pattern is mounted on stilts to eliminate debris during the mold making progress to come next. I've coated the pattern with white gelcoat. The pattern has to be sanded and polished to a mirror gloss. This step took a full day.
Remaining work: Make a mold for the seat foam and make a mold for taillight/license plate holder which bonds under tail then I'm done after a year.
It was over a year ago that I started this project (first called DXR). Nothing is as fast as one wants. Well I have movement to report but I think it’s appropriate to review the original goal here.
The idea is a tail which bolts behind a stock Sportster 3.3 gallon tank and with my forth coming XRX tank graphics, an owner can achieve a good looking street tracker on the cheap (about half the cost of my SXR kit.) Hence the old concept drawing is shown again.
Today I can show you the competed tail part, first out of the mold. If you are wondering about that scallopy shape on the edge-that’s my attempt to blend the tail with the oil tank. I have one on the other side for my new left side cover-which is quite popular (see two posts back).
Okay, I have start the molds for seat foam and the taillight/license plate holder. I’ll be back atcha when I have news.
~ Phil Little
Boy, this project is taking a bunch longer than I hoped. Mostly my fault for picking wrong supplier. Here is a photo of the long awaited tail fender mold. With this two-piece mold I can move to making the taillight mount and seat cushion.
When I say two-part notice the hairline split mid way. We spray in the gelcoat and fiberglass matrix and after it cures we dissemble the mold and pull out the part. The fender has so many curves and negative drafts that this is the only way to handle it. More soon I hope.